What causes persistent night tremors?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in General Health
Question: Hello. My name is XXXXXXX I asked symptom checker for info on NIGHT TREMORS. None of the qualifying questions cover my case (no alcohol --16 yrs, no street drugs ever,) These have been going on for about a week. The tremors are so severe that I must hold on to wall in order to navigate my home. The other thing is that I can swallow 2 analgesic tabs and 20 minutes the shaking is gone. I sought urgent care yesterday (3-9-017) and they found no source (urine) but don't do blood. I'm drinking plenty of water -- actually craving it. I'm in excellent physical health, being told at my yearly checkup that all blood readings were within normal range. I was also told I do not have dibetes. I'm obviously not a doc, but I am a septuagenarian. I've heard about getting screened for Hep-C. Forty years ago I was told I had Hep-B, but that has since been discounted by testing. I have had Guillen-Barat Syndrome (within 30 yrs.) I currently have body aches and fever (urgent care said I'm not running a fever). The body aches are widespread and centered in my joints
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fever may be a possible explanation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Night tremors is a term used to describe movement disorders that occur when you are sleeping or about to sleep.

Analgesic tablets have the ability to lower the high temperature that may cause jerking of extremities too, so, chills due to fever should be considered as a most possible condition.

These movements can show in forms of spasms, involuntary jerks, etc.

Night tremors are thought to be caused by overactivity of certain brain areas.

Conditions that may be related include metabolic disorders, hypoxemia, stroke, etc.

Hepatitis C may cause metabolism disorders and may affect brain function too, so, it should be considered as a possibility in your case, since you experienced fever too.

Getting blood tests about liver and kidneys function, electrolytes, etc. is necessary to understand better your condition and to exclude these possibilities.

Monitoring regularly your body temperature ( every 4 hours for example ) is necessary too.

Guillain-Barré syndrome may cause muscles weakness and sensory disturbances, but is not linked to night tremors.

Please discuss with your Doctor about these issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee