What causes persistent leg pain in a 3 year old child?

Dr. Remy Koshy

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hello Doctor,
My son is 3+ and having leg pain at night when he go to park or walk more in a day.
Please suggest, what to do to avoid such pain.
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained below..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your query in HealthcareMagic,

I have read through the query and can understand your concern,

It is quite normal for kids in the age of 3-4 or from 8-12 to have growth pains, which is prominent in the evenings or late afternoon. For some, it may also cause some disturbance to their sleep. This is caused by the excess use of the muscles involved in activities of the child like running or playing.

No specific treatment method is required for this, other than massaging the areas concerned, or applying warm compresses so as to soothen the muscles involved. If at all your child complains of more pain, you can consider giving a dose of ibuprofen or acetaminophen pain killers.

But, before that, I would also suggest it better to consult with a pediatrician for a proper examination, so as to rule out any other possible causes.

I hope I have answered to your answer,

Please feel free to discuss further, or else kindly close the query and give your positive feedback,

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy