Owl Image

What causes persistent dizziness after a meal?

Owl Image
Dr. Ivo Ditah

Question
I get dizzy after I eat a light breakfast. Only when walking to my vehicle. Never while driving. After I drove to Church this morning , exited my vehicle, I barely walk straight and three people had to catch me to prevent me from falling (this is the third time this has happen). These friends said my symtoms and behavior looked just like Vertigo.

What OTC meds can I buy until I see my PCP for previously scheduled appointment on 11/2/17. I will be getting my usual blood work just before I see my PCP? Currently on Lisinopril, verapomil, allopuriol, low dose aspirin, atorvastatin,Vitamin D3, Vitamin B complex. I have controlled non-insulin type 2 diabetes (think that's right) I'm retired 72 years old, chronic kidney disease stage 3. (Born with only one kidney)

All vitals are normal for now.
Fri, 8 Dec 2017 in Elderly Problems

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This sounds light orthostatic hypotension!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

Your symptoms and surrounding circumstances make a drop in blood pressure while in an upright position to be the most likely explanation. This happens most especially when we transition from a lying or sitting position to an upright position. This is something that happens more often with age and more commonly in persons on antihypertensive medications.

No OTC medication would make a difference at this time. The best approach is to transition from one position to another gradually. Also, pause a few minutes after rising to your feet before walking to ensure that your heart and blood circulation adapts to the change in position. During your visit, report this so that the blood pressure can be monitor in the sitting and upright positions for diagnostic purposes.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be. Above all, keep me updated on your progress.