What causes persistent clear liquid anal discharge?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 26 Apr 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I've had a problem since last April. I am leaking a clear liquid from my anus 24/7. I've been to many GI docs and an internal med doc and have had colonoscopies, CT Scans, an MRI, Stool samples, blood tests and the diagnosis that was made was IBS. I'm thinking there is something else causing it. It is a liquid that irritates my skin and is always clear. It smells similar to urine. I've felt more bloated too.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking.
I read carefully all your concerns and I understood your query.
You are reporting to have clear liquid mucous from your anal sphincter.
To my opinion you should discuss with your GI specialist about:
- anal - rectal Endoscopy ultrasound it will better evaluate if there is something a outside the rectum that causes you that.
- anal manometry to rule out anal sphincter incontinence.
Hope it was helpful to you!
Dr.Klerida
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 7 hours later
Yes, I've also had the manometry test and had normal results except for feeling "full". I'll have to ask about the other test though. I was also diagnosed with a small fissure. What would you recommend to take over the counter for that? Could that be a cause for my problem?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back and tha k you for giving more of your medical data.
Yes fissure can cause anal leakage.
You can use preparation H OTC to heal it and avoid constipation .

Hope it was helpful to you.
Dr.Klerida