What causes persistent brown sticky vaginal discharge?

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 21 Nov 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I am a 23 year old female with no serious health conditions. For the past two weeks I've been having lots of continuous brown gooey discharged everyday. I haven't had a period since I was 14 and have been on birth control since I was 17. Also I've been with the same partner for over two year. I've had this happen before but it stopped in a couple of days. I've heard that sudden changes to the body might cause some different effects on your body. About two months ago I started going to collage as a full time student while keeping my job. Between work and school, I work about 75 hours a week and sleep about 18 to 25 hrs a week. I'm gone from home for 14 hrs a day and have trouble finding healthy foods so I'm not eating very healthy at all unfortunately. I also take care of my special needs sister all at the same time and do find myself extremely stressed out. I really don't know what this could be. Hopefully there is enough information there. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explanation is given below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear and thanks for your query.

Changing schedules and having so much work as your having, can certainly cause hormonal imbalances and this can be your reason of continuous brown discharge.

But since the brown discharge have been there for more than ten days, better have a gynecological examination .
Your gynecologist should do minimally ;
Vaginal swab to exclude STI (sexually transmitted infection)
Transvaginal scan to see inner layer of uterus

During this time you have brown discharge try to use much more fluids and iron rich foods to prevent anemia.

Do let me know if you've any further queries

All the best

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee