What causes periodontal bone loss?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Dental Health
Question: Hello,
I am 80 and in good health. My dentist says my remaining 10 teeth should be extracted and get dentures. My X-rays indicate peridontal bone loss. I have no bleeding or pain. I've been using lots of cq10 for years. Is it possible that xrays really don't tell the full story ? could
the actual infection be ended ? and the barrier or firewall to blood stream be in good shape ?
any way to determine this ? XXXX

Thank you.
XXXX

YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
X rays does not give wrong impression.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear..
Thanks for the query..

If the X ray is revealing periodontal bone loss then it is a chronic condition that occurs due to long standing deep infection in gums..

It can also be seen with progressive age..

So if X-ray is revealing bone loss then it will definitely be a right evaluation of the bone support around your teeth..

If there is considerable bone loss then it will be better to get all the teeth extracted followed by placement of Dentures..

Hope this information helps.. Please feel free to ask further..

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX
My main question is this:
Possibly the x-ray shows past damage.
There is never bleeding and I have taken high coq10 for over 10 years.
Could it be the actual live infection be gone?
and hopefully the firewall barrier to blood stream is good.
my crp tests are always good
I am on an anti-inflammatory diet
and also is there any other way to evaluate the oral current situation ?
I know this may be theoretical or speculative but I am hopeful some info on this
is available,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bone loss can be due to previous Infection..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for writing back..

Well, if you had gum infection in the past then bone loss can be due to it and in case of you do not have any symptoms presently then there can be no active infections..

A clinical examination can be sufficient to check for present status of Infection..

Please answer the following questions so that I can guide you better.
1.Are your teeth loose or mobile?
2.Do you have deposits over teeth?
3.Do you have any medical problems?
Please upload a scan of your x ray..

Please revert back with answers..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy