What causes perforated uterus post D&C procedure?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I was having a d and c today and my uterus was perforated at the back in the beginning of the procedure. The doctor I'd going to do it again next week under a local anesthesia in her office instead of the OR. What does this mean for me healthwise?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Perforated uterus

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You recently had a D&C and the doctor caused a perforated uterus. This is a rare complication but it is also serious and needs to be evaluated by another provider. With a perforation you could get infection and additional adhesions and scar tissues. I would recommend that you be seen in the ER if you develop fever chills, increased abdominal pain or foul smelling vaginal discahrge. I would also recommend that you find another doctor for your GYN problems.

In summary
1. perforated uterus serious complication from D&C
2. See another GYN doctor
3. Seek immediate medical attention if you develop fever chills or increased abdominal pain or foul smelling uterine discharge

I hope I answered your medical question. Please contact us again if you have any further medical questions