What causes painful swelling in neck region?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I thought I had a zit coming out of my left throat cage area yesterday because I could notice some slight tenderNess. Today there is A localized spot on the left side of my next between my gland and throatcage. It is a dull constant pain that turns into a warm sharp pain when I breathe in. I don't feel as sick in a any other way.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably swollen lymph node due to developing illness/infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Based on your presentation, I am quite sure this is a swollen lymph node in the neck region.

Swollen lymph nodes in the neck region are due to:

+Infection
+Other illness
+Tumors (rare): And unlikely in your case due to the sudden development of swelling in the lymph nodes

I would not worry too much about the presentation you are experiencing, and would schedule a doctors consult as you could be falling ill to some infection. I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan