What causes painful hernia which worsens on coughing?

General Surgeon
Question
My husband has a Hermia. He has had it for quit sometime. It is painfully when coughing and really painful when he tries to have a bowel movement. He can feel and.hear gurgling. He feels as though it is pinched and trying to com through his.abdomen even more. How important is it to get taken care of. He is.a workaholic and the only printer at his work. He does not like to take time off work. It affects the whole shop. Are there serious complications that can arise.
The lump is quit large on his left lower abdomen,pelvis,area. Very painful. He laid down and lump and pain subsided. Should I make a doctors appointment or take him to.emergency room. Hi legs are slightly swollen and he is breathing like he has a cold.
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
To rule out complications

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms XXXXXXX

Going by your description that there is gurgling sound and hernia becomes more obvious on coughing it suggest that Hernia is reducible( Goes back completely and there is no residual swelling on lying down ).
If there is residual swelling still present and In the clinical scenario of severe pain possibility of complication like irreducibility and obstruction needs to be considered. Clinical assessment by your Physician is much needed at earliest to evaluate for complication.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Keep me updated about progress.

Wishing you and your family a very happy and healthy life.

Best regards
Dr Deepak
MBBS, MS, MCh

Follow-up: What causes painful hernia which worsens on coughing? 9 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. So I will make.n appointment with a doctor. You don't think.he needs the emrgncy room. Is it just a matter of how.much he can take. Because he is a workaholic I fear the worst always. Hehas agreed to go.to a doctors appt. It seems so painful fir him that I w pushing.for.emergency room. Thnk you

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery at earliest

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings

Even if there is no associated complications like irreducibility or obstruction while assessment at ER, I would recommend to get the Hernia operated at earliest.

Best regards
Dr Deepak