What causes pain under the right rib cage, bloating and constipation?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have consistent pain below my right ribs, bloating and constipation over the last several months
treated with more fruit in the diet, colace, and doculax. The side is bloated due to surgical swelling
from a patial nephrectomy done in February of 2011. I have had a history of multiple but small gallstones.
I am a 64 year old male. I am on Avodart and flomax and blood pressure medicine for the past six months. PSA has gone from 11.2 to 6.5. Size of prostate was 160 CC with 25%free PSA
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Few possible causes

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

There are few possible causes and the most likely of them is caused by gallbladder stones so you should consider cholecystectomy.

Second, swelling after nephrectomy should pull back after so many years so there may be some other issue such as an internal hernia or adhesions.

To verify this you should do barium enema imaging or MRI scan of the abdominal cavity. Then possible surgery can be planned. Till then, you need to continue with a specific diet that includes high fiber food, plenty of fluids and probiotics.

Feel free to ask further queries.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon