What causes pain under the breast and armpit region?
Questions for you to help me answer you better.
Hello and welcome,
Can you provide more history. Specifically:
1. When did the pain start?
2. Does it change with movement of your arm or rib cage?
3. Do you sleep with your arm(s) overhead, or have you done more lifting or reaching movements recently than you usually do?
4. Are there any lumps or swellings?
5. How severe is the pain?
6. By under your arm pit, do you mean inside your armpit?
7. Is it tender to touch?
Thanks, information to follow.
3. yes, a lot of gardening pulling and carrying
4 some swelling right in the crease of armpit
5 not severe more a discomfort...much more noticeable when sleeping on my stomach
6 see answer 4
7 yes, a little
Ok - this gives me a bit more of an idea of what is going on.
When patients complain of pain in their breast, under breast, and arm pit region, things that we think about are acid reflux/gas pressure, cardiac causes, lymphatic causes (such as swollen lymph nodes in a chain), and breast problems including from hormone replacement therapy, and breast lumps, and musculoskeletal strains.
It sounds as though your pain is due to a musculoskeletal strain.
I found a picture on the web that does a good job showing the muscles that are in this region.
Treatment of this is the same as with other strains, although ice on the chest is not a good idea. If you do not have stomach problems with NSAIDs, consider taking ibuprofen (after you have food in your stomach), three times a day (approximately 6-8 hours apart). And resting the muscles involved is imperative for helping it to resolve. So avoid lifting, reaching, and carrying over 10 lbs, as much as possible.
If the NSAID and rest do not help it show signs of improving in the next few days, then go in to either see your doctor (who may prescribe a muscle relaxer or a stronger NSAID), or go to a physical therapist who may give you exercises to relieve the discomfort and strengthen the muscles. But not yet. Right now, rest those muscles.
I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes sharp pain under the breast and breathlessness
- What causes severe pain under the breast on the right
- What causes pain in breast
- What is the cause for pain and soreness under breast
- What causes sharp pain under the breast
- What causes burning and pain in breast
- What causes painful lump in breast
- What causes sharp pain under the left breast
- What causes pain under breast
- What causes pain and fluttering under the left breast