Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes pain radiating to anus during urination?

General Surgeon
Question
I had green laser for BPD Nov, 2013, suffered continuous burning pain for 1 month, whereupon another urologist suggested exploratory observation of prostate. With my agreement, stated he would do whatever was necessary to "fix" my problem. After turp procedure, he stated he had to build a "channel" for the urethra. Post op recovery was extremely painful. Mild Rx pain pills for about 2 months and decided to go without. Now 7 months later, the pain is still very strong. Upon stopping pain pills, pain level 5-7 for approximately 1 month. Pain has now dropped of to 3-5. But has been consistent for the past 5 months. At the beginning of urination pain begins in the end of my penis and progresses through my body to my anus. No longer seeing Dr. that did turp. Last few visits consisted of for going for office visit, stating burning sensation the same, him stating it should subside soon. When pressed for a more definitive time frame, stating he did not know, but less than a year. Any suggestions?
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chronic prostate inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

From your description it seems that prostate inflammation is your main problem. Prostate enlargement due to BPD is rather not the reason of your symptoms so the another TURP wont help.
Pain while urinating which radiates to the anus is very characteristic symptom of such inflammation. Generally symptoms which last 6 months indicate chronic prostate inflammation. The main factor of it are bacteria. There for it should be treated with antibiotic. And the treatment should take 28 days (Ciprofloxacine 500 mg twice a day).
Before the antibiotic treatment you should have 3 urine samples collected (3rd sample should be collected after prostate massage). Detecting bacteria in the urine can help with proper antibiotic selection.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Follow-up: What causes pain radiating to anus during urination? 1 hour later
If you are suggesting UTI, I check myself periodically, using an AZO Urinary Infection Test Kit. It does not indicate any infection. So the question is: Would an infection of this nature, gone untreated for 5-7 months, not escalate into at least a more powerful (and painful) situation?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
I do not suggest an uti. I suggest prostate chronic bacterial inflammation. This condition if not treated can be present for months or even years.
As mentioned before it is hard to detect bacteria in the urine in case of prostate inflammation that is why the urine should be collected after prostate massage (bacteria are in the prostate not urine).