What causes pain in upper abdominal pain?

Posted on Thu, 6 Aug 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello, My wife has has stomach pain that she said was higher in her tummy when it started on Wednesday. Yesterday she said it had moved lower and today she's feeling worse again after feeling better briefly.
She is currently lying down and has eaten only a little porridge and bread the last couple of days.
Her lips are whitish and she feels ill if she stops lying down.
She's not menstrating.
She hasn't been sick but has felt sick and she didn't poo the first day buut had a loose bowel yesterday today. And pooed normally this morning.
What should I do? Do I need to take her to get examined?

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly view the details

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

In your post you have not mentioned regarding any history of systemic illness or prolonged intake of medications by your wife.
Under such circumstances, the symptoms as mentioned in your post can be attributed to accumulation of gas secondary to increased acid production in the stomach.
Sensation of movement of pain in various regions of the abdomen & fluctuation of bowel habit is suggestive of that.

Symptomatic relief can be obtained with intake of Pantoprazole preparation (to be taken twice a day before meals) & antacid gel (to be taken after meals).
They prevent formation of excess acid in the stomach & provide symptomatic relief.
Antispasmodics like Dicyclomine preparations will be helpful in providing relief from stomach pain.

It is also needed that she takes certain precautions regarding her diet & lifestyle, such as:
1. Take soft, plain, non-spicy foods.
2. Drink lots of water or O.R.S (Oral Rehydrating Solution) to maintain adequate hydration & electrolyte balance.
3. Avoid fast foods & gas producing food products like cabbage, etc.
4. Avoid smoking & alcohol.
5. Keep away stress, think positive.

If symptoms still persist, kindly consult her Doctor/ Gastroenterologist for proper clinical examination.
Certain investigations like USG abdomen and upper GI endoscopy will be helpful in detecting any pathological cause for the symptoms.

There is no need to worry, your wife will be fine.
Wishing her a good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Polash Sannigrahi