What causes pain in the right side of the abdomen?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband is suffering from excessive "grassiness" if you will? He eats a very healthy diet consisting of raw vegetables, salads, fish or salmon for dinner and virtually zero carbs w the exception of a piece of pineapple each morning. He is 69 years, exercises regularly and maintains a healthy weight.
For the past 6 months he has had a mild pain (Chronic) on the right side where the large intestine makes the severe turn? It is not a stabbing pain but worsens upon no wel movement and if he exerts too much pressure at the gym.
He has tried cutting out Brussels sprouts but it makes not difference.
He does consume a large quantity of raw carrots, celery and cauliflower prior to his dinner salad.
He has had a healthy colonoscopy several years ago.
What are your suggestions, please?
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Details below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,
Have seen your details.

Please mention the bowel habits of your husband,Are stools fine. As pain in right iliac fossa can also be caused due to constipation or improper digestion of food.If bowel are normal then it can be Diverticulitis. Diverticulitis is the inflammation or infection of the diverticula, which are small pouches that form in your digestive tract. Symptoms of diverticulitis include Dull and persistent pain in the abdomen that lasts for several days. It can be uretric colic or urinary tract infection also. As pain is increased on exercising and straining it can be muscular also.

I would suggest you to go for few basic investigations like
-Ultra sound abdomen.
-Liver function tests.
-Stool routine and microscopy.
-Urine Routine and microscopy

This will help us to reach a differential diagnosis.

Please mention his bowel habits?
If possible Please specify what do you mean by that(My husband is suffering from excessive "grassiness" if you will? ).
Waiting,
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 16 hours later
I have sent two (2) follow up questions through this system via using "Reply to this doctor with follow up questions" as per the request of the nice doctor working with me.
I finished each time and pressed the bottom, "Submit" and immediately the page I wrote my intricate questions on disappeared and a whitish page with nothing but the numbers 2017 in the upper left hand corner appeared. It didn't look like your usual system procedure.

Please let me know where my follow up questions are?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please contact customer care.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Again,
I can't see the follow up questions,So please feel free to contact customer care to sort out the problem.
Waiting.
Dr Kumar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana