What causes pain in the legs at night?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: at night I have a lot of pain in the legs from the knee to the ankle, it keeps me awake, the front of my legs feel like they are on fire, when I get up and walk around my legs feel like they are ten times bigger than they are but there is no swelling, I had an ultra sound on my legs, and it did not show anything. there must be something wrong.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to osteoporosis.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in the legs that you have can be related to low levels of calcium or vitamin D3. Muscle cramps due to an electrolyte imbalance can also cause such a pain. This can be related to osteoporosis also.
You need to have a few blood tests to find out the exact cause of the pain. Taking proper supplements will help in gradual improvement. Till then you can increase your fluid intake and take a mild pain killer after meals.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 hours later
it is not muscle cramps, I have blood tests, and it does not show anything
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be osteoporosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If the blood tests are normal then osteoporosis is likely. A bone mineral density analysis can help. You can also start with calcium supplements and see if it helps.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.