What causes pain in right foot?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Back Pain
Question: My right foot, just below the big toe is painful when walking, applying pressure or touching it. It started after I exercised on Tuesday. There's no swelling or bruising. Motrin and ice help a little.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to gout.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in the big toe that you have can be due to gout. Gout happens when there are increased uric acid levels in the blood and the uric acid crystals start depositing in the joint capsules causing the joint inflammation.
It can happen due to decreased excretion of urates by kidney, dietary changes or due to genetic predisposition.
It is associated with consumption of alcohol, seafood and meat.
Taking a diet rich in vitamin C, dairy products and coffee is likely to help in improvement of symptoms.
Drink plenty of water daily to help the kidneys clear the uric acid. Reducing meat intake will also help. You can also seek medical help and ask your doctor to prescribe you some analgesics and specific medicines which increase the uric acid excretion from the kidneys after getting a blood test done.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T