question-icon

Is Swelling In The Ankles A Sign Of Heart Attack?

Posted on Fri, 27 Oct 2017
Question: I've heard that swollen ankles can be a symptome of a heart attack I just noticed my ankle was swollen I have bites around it I think its red bugs not sure i
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you i would like to tell you that yes swollen ankles could be due to heart failure and it happens with both the ankles not just one.

But ankle swelling can also happen due to other reasons like kidney problem or increased uric acid or local injury or some insect bite.

Considering your age group heart issue is unlikely and also you are telling it could be a bug bite also.

If only one ankle is swollen and there is redness as well as mild itching also then the possibility of bug bite is more.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist