What causes pain in lower back radiating to legs and difficulty in walking?

Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Back Pain
Question: CR Lumbar spine with flexion and extension c/o low back pain radiating down both legs

There are small osteophytes throughout spine more pronounced at L1-2. Facet sclerosis from L4 through S1. Disc space narrowing slightly increased with flexion particularly at L5-S1 and L3-L4. Mild multilevel disc space narrowing in neutral position.

From what I take from this - that is exactly why I can't walk more than 30 steps before I am in severe pain. Am I right. Do I need to push to have someone stop ignoring with me and get me help. This has been going on since May 18. It started with my Right S/I joint causing the pain in my hip, down into my leg. At some point that has stopped and this is the problem. Now the least little movement, either one of my S/I joints will scream at me. Help please understand what these test are saying so I can get some much needed help
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see description

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank You for contacting HCM. My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. the symptoms you mentioned are suggestive of "degenerative disk disease(DDD)". In most cases, degenerative disc disease can be successfully treated with conservative (meaning non-surgical) care consisting of medication to control inflammation and pain (steroid medications delivered either orally or through an epidural injections), and physical therapy and exercise.
Following general measures will help you in reducing the severity:

1. Activity Modification

The first line of treatment is usually to avoid aggravating the condition. Modifying activities to preclude lifting of heavy objects and playing sports that require rotating the back (e.g. basketball, or football) can be a good first step.

2. Exercise and Physical Therapy
An exercise program is essential to relieving the pain of lumbar degenerative disc disease and is part of almost every treatment program for lumbar DDD. A back strengthening exercise program, such as Dynamic Lumbar Stabilization exercises, where patients are taught to find their 'natural spine,' the position in which they feel most comfortable, and to maintain that position

3. Heat and Ice
Applying heat to stiff muscles or joints to increase flexibility and range of motion, or using ice packs to cool down sore muscles or numb the area where painful flares are concentrated

4. Medications:
naproxen thrice a day help many patients feel good enough to engage in regular activities.

I would suggest you to once get an appointment for a physiotherapist. He will guide you the modifications that will help you in reducing the pain.

Surgery is only considered when patients have not achieved relief over six months of nonsurgical care and/or are significantly constrained in performing everyday activities.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help if not then don't forget to close the discussion and rate it.
Wishing you good health !!