• question-icon

What causes pain in leg and upper thighs?

Posted on Mon, 8 Sep 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi

I have been having leg pain in my upper thighs as well as hips. It is worse when I sleep at night. I did have a fall about five years ago but had numerous X-rays which indicated that I am fine. In early XXXXXXX - I started walking more and since then it has not been the same. When standing my thigh muscles seem week as well as my legs. I am nervous to go walking more than 1/2 hour as I pay for it the following days. I am over weight and since XXXXXXX have lost 20 lbs. I eat lots of fruit and vegetables and I have visited by Dr. however I was only given pain killers. My dr thought it was a joint issue and I even had a cortisone injection in the Bursa but it didn't do anything. Any suggestions?Also I have had lower back issues. I have tried therapy, acupuncture, massage and yoga. Nothing seems to help.
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get MRI scan done.

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query.

You have not mentioned which part of thigh is painful i.e anterior, lateral or medial etc. Also you have not mentioned any history of night-sweats.

So I advise you to get E.S.R, C.R.P, MRI scan of affected hips and MRI scan of lumbosacral spine done and send me the report.

I want to see the present condition of your hip joint, vertebrae, intervertebral discs and nerves.

Till then you can take in addition thiocolchicoside, pregabalin by prescription of your doctor.

I hope it helps.

Thanks.

Dr.Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon