What causes pain in left upper quadrant and lower flank radiating to back?

Question
i've had an undiagnosed pain in my left flank/abdomen for about 3 weeks. i've had a myriad of tests (CT scan, MRI of abdomen and MRI of spine, ultrasound of kidneys and female parts), and nothing has come up. My blood tests are also normal. I have been in so much pain I've been to the ER twice. My only other notable symptom is that I've completely lost my appetite (which may just be from stress, etc.). The pain is in both my lower and upper left quadrant and transfers from the from to the back with no rhyme or reason. I'm am at my breaking point. Please help!!! the only way I can sleep is with sleeping pills and I'm ready to go crazy. Thank you!
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need gastroenterologist and pain management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Pain in the left upper quadrant and lower flank referring to back with all the labs and radiology work up clear makes it a challenge to diagnose.
If by all labs you mean liver and pancreatic profile is clear then that rules out pancreatis. Also I am sure renal infection and uti must have been ruled out too.
Now the role of street here might be significant. Stress and anxiety makes a person type A personality and such personalities might have a predisposition to gastric discomfort and ulcers. A detailed history of bowel habits with a thorough physical exam and some labs like endoscopy 24 hour monitoring serum gastrin levels and colonoscopy is advised to to sort out any gastrointestinal entity for the trouble.
N pain is an alarm for the trouble underneath and it's just the matter of time before it gets diagnosed. A complete assessment for functional bowel and inflammatory bowels and diverticulosis is advised.
If the gastrointestinal etiology is sorted out then next focus will be musculoskeletal approach and relaxation therapies and physiotherapy would be recommended. Try to relax.modofy routine and lifestyle.seek a psychologist and have some therapy sessions.
Get to a gastroenterologist and pain management specialist for further management.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
,