What causes pain in left hip, back and ribcage while treating GERD?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: 60 year old male in good health with recent check up and blood work done...
Everything was good. I sometimes deal with gerd and currently have been taking food enzymes, probiotics, and tagamet. The only other problem I have had until tonight, was some throbbing in my left hip. I thought probably arthritis or bursitis and started taking 2 200mg tabs every 6 bours. My big problem started today. I was traveling to Nicaragua and right after I boarded plaNE I started getting severe pain in back, left and right side by lower part of ribcage (outside not by spine). The pain is very severe and comes and goes. If I lay down, when I try to get out of bed or even roll over I think I will pass out from the pain. Sitting upright helps, but when I move again it is horrible pain. I just arrived in Managua, Nicaragua, so not a good position to be in.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Go to ER if unbearable pain, start muscle relaxant

Detailed Answer:

I am glad to hear that a 60 years old man is in such good health.

I am also sorry about painful situation you are in. From what you are saying, it is a muscular pain (possible pulled muscle).

As the pain is unbearable, should go to ER to run immediate X-ray and take intramuscular pain killers and prescribed muscle relaxants.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 14 days later
I just wanted to thank you for your help. You were correct with your diagnosis. After you told me it seemed like a pulled muscle, I laid there in pain trying to think what I could have done to injured my muscles like that. I take pride in working hard and staying fit.Then I realized what I had done and started laughing, but that hurt too much. Two days before this happened I went golfing for the first time in ten years. And I was driving the ball hard. Golf is not a natural motion for the body, it is a severe twisting motion. You were right with a quick answer and that helped me discover how I did it. Two weeks since that incident and I am fully recovered. I need to remember that I am not thirty years old anymore! )) Thanks again for your help.!!! XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Happy to assist you

Detailed Answer:
Hi back dear XXXXXXX

Thank you for following up.
I am so happy to hear that my answer was of help to you.

All the best!
Dr.Albana