What causes pain in ear?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have pain in front of my right ear. When I swallow it sometimes feel like the start of an earache..
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
upper respiratory tract infection.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

The symptoms that you describe are suggestive of upper respiratory tract infection with post nasal drip which could be due to bacterial or viral infection.

The pain in the ear could be associated with the inflammation due to the Eustachian tube involvement. This might have occurred due to climatic changes.

You should take pain killers and antihistamines available over the counter.

Antibiotics (levofloxacin or azithromycin) could be helpful but you will need doctor's prescription for that.

Take steam inhalation (no need to add vicks or anything to the water, plain steam is better).

Blow your nose and bring out the mucous.

Warm water gargling is also necessary.

I hope you will get better in 3 to 4 days and in case not or if symptoms worsen, visit your ENT specialist who will examine you thoroughly and start appropriate treatment.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T