Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

What causes pain in buttocks?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5576 Questions
I am having butt pain in centre left side every not and then from last 1-2 year. This pain is so severe that I cant even move my leg or turn during sleep also. but this automatically goes off after 5-7 days every time.
During this butt pain sometimes I feel sensation in my left leg
Please ...Is it Sciatica pain...
what is effective way to find out if this is a sciatica pain
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI and clinical examination would help.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms. It is most likely due to sciatica. The typical symptoms include back pain, which may radiate to buttocks, thigh and legs.

The confirmation of diagnosis can be done by neurological examination (done by a neurologist) and an MRI scan of lumbo-sacral spine.

During examination, we need to check the strength and sensations of the leg , and also knee and ankle jerks.

Straight leg raising test (SLRT) would also help.

MRI of lumbo-sacral spine would help to confirm the diagnosis of sciatica due to slipped disc.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes pain in buttocks? 16 minutes later

This pain is not regular, it goes off and come back suddenly and remain for 7-10 days.
If this can be piriformis syndrome

If yes can this also be diagnosed with MRI Lumbar-Sacral
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be Pyriformis syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Yes, pyriformis syndrome should be considered in a person with pain in the butt, especially if it increases on sitting. This can also be diagnosed on the MRI, however, the radiologist should be specifically asked to look for this on the MRI.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor