What causes pain in buttocks?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
I am having butt pain in centre left side every not and then from last 1-2 year. This pain is so severe that I cant even move my leg or turn during sleep also. but this automatically goes off after 5-7 days every time.
During this butt pain sometimes I feel sensation in my left leg
Please ...Is it Sciatica pain...
what is effective way to find out if this is a sciatica pain
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI and clinical examination would help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms. It is most likely due to sciatica. The typical symptoms include back pain, which may radiate to buttocks, thigh and legs.

The confirmation of diagnosis can be done by neurological examination (done by a neurologist) and an MRI scan of lumbo-sacral spine.

During examination, we need to check the strength and sensations of the leg , and also knee and ankle jerks.

Straight leg raising test (SLRT) would also help.

MRI of lumbo-sacral spine would help to confirm the diagnosis of sciatica due to slipped disc.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: What causes pain in buttocks? 16 minutes later

This pain is not regular, it goes off and come back suddenly and remain for 7-10 days.
If this can be piriformis syndrome

If yes can this also be diagnosed with MRI Lumbar-Sacral

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be Pyriformis syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Yes, pyriformis syndrome should be considered in a person with pain in the butt, especially if it increases on sitting. This can also be diagnosed on the MRI, however, the radiologist should be specifically asked to look for this on the MRI.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)