What causes pain in arms and wrists?

Posted on Mon, 23 Feb 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello,

I wanted to ask one more time prior to my doctore appointment tomorrow. I habw been havinf pain in my arm/wrist that at times goes to my elbow possibly my shoulder

I took photos of where it hurts. It seems to be more of a burninf sendation opposed to pain if they makes sense. I felt it was carpel tunnel but i dont think ot is. This has been goig on roughly 1 month on and off but seems more persostanr lately. My concern and fear is some sort of cancer abd im freaking out now! Any advice of what it could be? Does it resemble any typ of cancer? I attached photos wth my daughter pointing to areas it hurts

Nothing is swollen or snything
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely it is deQuervains disease

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing healthcaremagic for posting your query

I'm Dr. Sudhir Kumar,

I have gone through your question and photograph in detail and understand your concern.
You are likely to be having deQuervains disease. It is inflammation of tendons going to the thumb along with its sheath (tenosynovitis). You can take analgesic such as ibuprofen for pain relief. Rest is very important for relief in it. You should not use your wrist and arm till pain relief. If not responding to this treatment then local injection of triamcilone can be used. I found excellent results of this injection in my clinical practice. Rarely surgery (release of sheath) is needed.
It is unlikely to be carpal tunnel syndrome looking to location of pain.
It is unlikely to be cancer as per your description. No need to worry much.
However you can exclude other causes of pain in this area by x ray and MRI.

You can discuss with your treating Doctor about it.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
https://www.bit.ly/askdrsudhirortho

Wishing you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you for your response. I did happen to Google it and that came up as a possible issue but considering I was so concerned with some type of cancer and also when you Google stuff for cancer comes up every single time. But considering the location and the symptoms you do not feel some type of bone muscle or tissue cancer?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is unlikely to be cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Wecome back

It is unlikely to be cancer.Furthermore cancers are uncommon in hand but these are seen in wrist and forearm. However it needs x ray and MRI to say whether cancer is there or not.

I consider two more possibility. Both are benign (non cancerous).

One is neuroma as you have burning sensation radiating upto shoulder. It is benign (non cancerous) tumour of nerve cells. Its treatment is excisional biopsy (removal and histopathological examination).

Second possibility is ganglion as it is common in this area. It is degenerative cyst of tendon sheath . Its treatment is aspiration with wide bore needle or excisional biopsy.

Rest has been already discussed. You can discuss with your treating Doctor about it.

Hope I have answered your query.

https://www.bit.ly/askdrsudhirortho

Wishing you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 16 minutes later
Thank you again for your response. I will see my doctor and pray it is nothing serious. Just to know, do people with such cancers, do they typically have symotoms like me or other symptom? Sorry for the repeditivenesss
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are not of cancer

Detailed Answer:
HI
Welcome back

Your symptoms does not point towards cancer. Typically cancer in these areas present with swelling and dull pain. You are not having swelling and pain is burning type. But it is definitely said after investigation already discussed.

Rest already discussed.You can discuss with your treating Doctor about it.

Hope I have answered your query.

https://www.bit.ly/askdrsudhirortho

Wishing you good health

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Thank you gor clairification. I see military doctors so explanation like such doesnt happen

Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wishing you a good health

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You are always welcome at healthcaremagic.

Wishing you good health

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Orthopaedic Surgeon