What causes pain in abdomen and ribcage while breathing?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: For about 36 hours I have had pain/discomfort in my abdomen. It centers in the area under my right rib cage. It hurts to move and breathe deeply. If I'm still for a while it's better but doesn't go away. Everything else is normal: appetite, bowels, skin color...

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Galkstones are possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Thank you for the query.

Your pain is very characteristic for gallstones. As gallbladder is located close to the diaphragm, it hurts to breath.
Apettite may be fine as there is no inflammation.

I suggest you to consult your doctor. Abdominal ultrasound should be done.
Please try hot bath for the pain relief.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Is this a dangerous condition? I am out of town for 4-5 more days. If the pain does not worsen, will it be safe to wait till I get home?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can wait with it.

Detailed Answer:
It is not dangerous as long as there is no inflammation. Try to avoid any fatty foods, fried foods, spicy foods, coffee, alcohol. If you have Buscolisine or Metamizole this can help with the pain.
If it wont get worst, you can wait a week or so.