What causes pain at the site of injection?

Dr. Jyothi B L

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I got an olfen injection a week or so ago because i was sick.. And ever since ive got a feeling of a severe burn in the area where i got the injection
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 21 minutes later
It must have been an intramuscular injection and so it could be painful. Nothing to worry. IM injections are often painful in individuals not used to it.
Follow up: Dr. Jyothi B L 1 minute later
May i ask when will the pain go away? Its been mor than a week now
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Usually 2 weeks for muscle healing.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Jyothi BL.
My opinion is as follows:
1. If the muscle mass,(eg: gluteus) is more, it should disappear. If the mass is less (eg: arm), It will take around 2 weeks as muscle would have got damaged during injection and repairing takes around 2 weeks.
2. If it is only pain and no fever at present - It should go in maximum of 2 weeks.

Topically you can use painkiller sprays over it to reduce pain.

Any further queries, happy to help again.

Dr. Jyothi BL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D