What causes pain at the incision area after humerus fracture repair?

Posted on Wed, 15 Feb 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had surgery to set a broken humerus, a plate and screws were used. The break is healing well and my range of motion is doing well with physical therapy. My question is about pain in the incision area. The incision is about 9 inches long an toward the inside of my upper arm.
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
painkillers and topical antibiotic , with an arm sling will be helpful ,add thicker cotton dressing under your arm will make some relieving sensation . .

Detailed Answer:
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

In my opinion i recommend Anti-inflammatories , Muscle relaxant , Narcotics with topical antibiotics and elevation of your arm by an arm sling will be helpful for your case. Avoid moisture humidity ,sweating and protect your incision from any kind of infections because the site of incision is embedded below your arm so that makes it more liable to infection and swelling . If pain increases you may visit your surgeon for reevaluation and follow up Xrays and MRI imaging to prevent any more complications .

Hope the above information helps you,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon