What causes pain and weakness in the forearms?

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 23 Oct 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: today out of the blue it seemed like my left arm was having weakness, it would have pain in the forearm and shoulder
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be pressure on the nerves,

Detailed Answer:
Hi , I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
This kind of weakness in Left arm with pain in forearm and shoulder -can be due to
1. Saturday night palsy- in which the arm is inadvertently kept on the arm rest in a hanging position so there is pressure on axilla and nerves of arm. This is temporary in nature and normally improves on few days,
2, Slipped disc in neck- can occur slowly of because of a sudden jerk. Treatment is pain killers , muscle relaxants and physiotherapy. If there is no improvement in 7-10 days then I would go for MRI Neck.
3. Just a muscle pull in shoulder and arm can present like this sometimes.
I hope you will find this useful. Please feel free to ask any other question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Goel 11 minutes later
it occured at work, and it seems like i have pain in my back taking deep breaths
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely discprolapse or muscular sprain.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
In case it occurred at work with pain in the back , it is more likely to be slipped disc most likely at C5-6 or a muscle sprain. The treatment remains same for both the conditions in initial phase. Again if no relief in 7-10 days go for MRI neck. The pain in the back is generally due to muscle spasm( muscle stiffness) . It is important to have clinical examination for further diagnosis.
Thanx