What causes pain after knee replacement surgery?
Very good question!
Pain gives it's etiology from location and quality.
see pretty picture... note L4-L5... the commonest location for LUMBAR DISK DISEASE.
Pulling the leg forward straight like yanking on a fishing rod will pull on a nerve going from the back down the leg. If this triggers the pain, then that is the cause and the operation is a coincidence.
But I doubt this is the case.
Location .. traveling in the path of a nerve... burning quality... would mean IT'S a Nerve. Occurring after a trauma AND a small distance means the pain is due to a local, small nerve that is irritated. AMITRiPTYLINE is likely the strongest nerve pain pill (and non-narcotic, generally safe and very inexpensive). It has action like lidocaine and you could instead use a lidocaine patch on the area of prev. surgery. Any other nerve pill (lyrica at > 100 mg; gabapentin, epilepsy meds) might also work.
Narcotics work on nerve pain (neuropathic) BUT they have to be given at such high doses, that this is why neuropathic pain pills were developed. ALso, local steroid+lidocaine injection into knee (cheap, safe) MIGHT work (but doubt it).
Then, there's ways of bearing it. Physical therapy, exercise, ballroom dance--all are essentially ACTIVE meditation techniques in a therapeutic context can help people increase tolerance of pain.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes thigh pain post a knee replacement surgery
- Pain control after knee replacement
- Heel pain after knee replacement
- Hamstring pain after knee replacement
- Swollen painful foot after knee replacement surgery
- Night pain after knee replacement
- Patellar pain after knee replacement
- Pain after total knee replacement
- What causes throbbing pain in the knee after knee replacement
- Pain after knee replacement surgery
- Is there any interaction between Morphine and Gabapentin?
- Can the presence of Oxycontin be detected in urine?
- Can Oxycodone be taken for wrist and back pain?
- What causes spitting of black mucus?
- How can Meth be flushed out of the system?
- Would Adderall show up in a urine test?
- What is the differece between Oxycontin and Oxycodone?
- What causes pain after knee replacement surgery?
- How long can i take Xanax for anxiety?
- Are Omega 3 supplements effective in helping muscle recovery after a...