question-icon

What causes occasional spotting after menopause?

Posted on Thu, 21 May 2015
Question: I have had a biopsy and a pap smear done for occasional spotting after menopause. I am still waiting for results. I am so worried it could be serious. If it was cancer wouldn't a person be bleeding alot not just spotting a few days a month?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Most probably your results are fine.

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am,

Thanks for trusting me again about your health care.

Sorry for the delay in my response.

I can understand your concern and anxiety about the results.

But please do not take so much of stress it is a rule to evaluate any spotting or bleeding after menopause because it maybe the one of a symptom of endometrial cancer.

It is not necessary that a person with carcinoma bleed heavily, it can be presented as spotting or sometimes it may be symptom less.

But as there are so many other benign causes which may also cause post menopausal spotting please do not worry about your test results.

Hope it is useful, feel free to discuss more.

Hope for the best!

Good luck.
Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN