What causes occasional skipped heart beats?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Thanks for asking. MY wife wore the Holter they other day but we have not learned the results. No doubt I will be back when we learn the results and you can help us decipher them. This query is direct to XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX!

Welcome back on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would like to know that the good news is that there is no atrial fibrillation.

Regarding the skipped heart beats, I would explain that they usually occur when the heart beat comes earlier than usual and this may be caused by several reasons.

There are many conditions, which may stimulate the heart to work more rapidly and produce ectopic heart beats (skipped beats).

In this regard, I would mention physical activity or emotional stress, anxiety, caffeine intake or some metabolic disorders like thyroid dysfunction, chronic anemia, etc..

You shouldn't worry about them as they are quite common in every healthy individual and they may usually happen in structurally normal hearts.

So, the main issue to clarify is to exclude any possible organic heart disorder.

For this reason, I would recommend performing a cardiac ultrasound to examine her heart function and structure, coupled with an exercise cardiac stress test.

If these tests result normal, you could definitely put your mind to peace regarding your wife's heart.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal, whenever you have any other questions!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri