• question-icon

What causes occasional dryness in throat and swollen neck glands?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Infections
Question: My throat is occasionally dry, it comes and goes, and the neck gland on the right side of my neck below the jawline is swollen. I do not have a fever. Curious what might be causing the symptoms. Within the last twelve months I did have strep throat and foot and mouth disease.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
ENT consultation, CT scan, strep infection unlikely to be the cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do understand this could be disturbing. I think it is worth investigating why this swelling, and what it could probably be.

I think the salivary glands need to be examined. An inflammation could reduce secretion of saliva, as well as a blockage of the tube that delivered secreted saliva to the mouth. A complete review by your ENT doctor could be most helpful as well as doing a proper CT scan.

I am afraid these condition could really not be attributed to the Strep infection you had twelve months ago. It is better to be sure there is no serious tumor or problems at this level. Some tumors grow slowly and might be painless from the start.

I strongly recommend an ENT consultation and a CT scan of Head.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Please, do feel free asking follow up questions in case you got specific needs. Thanks and kind regards,

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain