• question-icon

What causes occasional anal pain while sleeping and after intercourse?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have anal pain sometimes not everyday and sometimes it lasts long for 2 hours and sometimes 20 mins to 30 mins, when i pass gas i feel better, its not after or before stool , it happens anytime mostly it has happend when i am sleeping and sometimes after sex , what is the reason will any medication help me .
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chronic prostate inflammation can be the reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are most likely caused by chronic prostate inflammation. Prostate is located right in the front of the rectum. That is why you feel it as a rectal pain. And that is why the pain appears after an intercourse.
You may also notice occasional testis pain or lower abdominal pain.

The test which can confirm it is a rectal examination. Please consult urologist. In the treatment usually antibiotic called Ciprofloxacine for few weeks.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 hours later
I met a gastro dr and he told me that this is not a dieases or a serious problem, but my concern i that why it happens when i am asleep and i wake up with pain and have to press the anal area again and again and gas relases makes me feel better ...
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is chronic prostatitis.

Detailed Answer:
The gastro doctor is right. This is not a serious disease. You are way too young for any serious disease and especially for any rectal disease.
In my opinion this is prostate for 90%. It is attached to the rectum. The pain likes to appear suddenly. This can be during the night, which for sure wakes you up. Its like a sudden sharp pain.
When you press the rectum or release the gas, rectum gets relaxed and so does prostate.
Please consult urologist.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon