What causes numbness in the left hand along with dizziness?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Oct 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello Doctor,
I have had dizziness for more than a week now, as well as weakness and quasi-numbness in my left hand. I have A-fib. My concern is that I might have had a stroke. My other concern is MS. I saw a physician who immediately said labyrinthitis and gave me antihistamines. I took one and felt worse. She did not even examine my arm.

What do you think is going on?davl
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stroke should be carefully considered, MS unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

I do agree with you that the physician seems not to have paid enough attention to the upper left limb issue. Since you suffer from Afib you are someone at risk of stroke. I wonder what do you take for stroke prevention, if you are on blood thinners a hemorrhage may be taken into consideration as well.
For that reason while I can't examine your hand I would say that acute dizziness with weakness in the limb on one side, in someone with a risk factor such as Afib warrants at least a neurological physical exam and brain imaging. Brain imaging may at times not be necessary if neurological exam findings suggest some other cause such as a neck origin, but before saying that a detailed exam is needed. So I would advise a neurologist consult or if that takes time to schedule present yourself to the Emergency Room.

As for MS I would say that is highly unlikely, it is very rarely encountered at your age, usually its manifestations start at a younger age.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Dear Doctor Taka,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and concerned response. I wish my own primary care physician were half so attentive. I will schedule an appointment with a neurologist as soon as possible.

Best wishes,
XXXXXXX London
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome, my best wishes.

Detailed Answer:
I hope nothing serious turns out and things work for the best.