What causes numbness in the hand?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Dear doctor,
The symptom was prolonged numbness on the hand, doctor on diagnosis told it is carpal tunnel syndrome. The treatment suggested was an orthopedic surgery. Wanted to have a second opinion on this. Reports are attached. Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
incomplete reports.. please attach remaining reports if possible

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX

Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

How was your day?

Hope this message finds you in good health.

I have gone through your query and your reports in detail and understand your concern.

The NCV/EMG reports suggest a carpal tunnel syndrome for sure, but the reports that you have uploaded are incomplete.
It shows the readings of median nerve only for right hand.

Median nerve is the nerve that is compressed in carpal tunnel syndrome and the levels in the report need to be compared with the levels in opposite hand before coming to a decision of whether to get opeated or not.

See if you can upload the remaining reports as well so that i can guide you further.

Just to let you know, many carpal tunnel syndromes can be cured by a local steroid injection in the wrist and hence, surgery can be avoided.

Nothing to worry about.

I hope your question has been answered.
Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries. Take care,God bless.
Wish you a healthy life : )
If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion.

Kind Regards..
Dr Mahaveer Patil, (MBBS,MS,Mch)
Consulting Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer ,PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 20 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for the quick revert.

I will get the remaining reports. Meantime can you please help me with the pros and cons of surgery and steroid injection. The doctor whom we consulted suggested surgery saying the injection will not give a permanent cure as the condition may recur after an year.
Also please let me know if there is any side effects for this injection or surgery.

XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
query answered

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX

Welcome back
Your doubts are justified. I know that a steroid injection may/ may not give a permanent cure. At our hospital, 50-70 % cases have been cured by steroid injections and are doing fine for last 3- 5 years without any symptoms.

Its not just steroid injection but a comprehensive approach towards the disease.

CTS is caused by excessive amount of fluid getting accumulated in the narrow space that is supposed to be consisting of the nerve. This fluid accumulation causes compression on the nerve-leading to symptoms of CTS.

So, along with steroid injection, the reason for fluid accumulation also needs to be treated,so there will be permanent cure. Atmost we can give 3 injections with a gap of 21 days between each injection.

By this, we are just giving a chance for the disease to cure naturally, without avoiding complications of a surgery.
Any surgery is not free of complications. Anesthesia, scar mark,infection, the delicate nerve may get injured, surrounding tendons may get injured, 20 % chances of no cure even after surgery.

I know surgery gives better results , but i am in favour of avoiding it unless and untill you have tried all other options available. You have waited for so long, we can give another 1 month or so for the steroid injection option.

THERE IS NO 100 % GUARANTEE OF PERMANENT CURE EVEN AFTER THE SURGERY

I hope your question has been answered.
If you have any follow-up queries,feel free to consult me anytime.
If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion. Wish you a good health.Have a great day : )
Take care,God bless.      
YOUR RATING FOR THIS ANSWER MATTERS A LOT AND WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng