What causes numbness in the arm?

Posted on Thu, 6 Oct 2016 in Heart Attack
Question: sudden numbness in left arm earlier today though mywent away wife slept on it the preceding night.went away but...XXXX
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems unrelated to when your wife slept on your arm

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your question.

The way I understand what you've written is that your wife slept on your left arm the night preceding the episode of sudden numbness which went away after a time.

Therefore, if these 2 events were separated by more than a few minutes I would recommend you be evaluated either by a vascular surgeon or a neurologist. You don't want to be suffering from either a vasculature blockage that needs to be addressed and was unmasked by your wife sleeping on your arm or a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) which is commonly called a ministroke since if the event was this then, there is a 10-30% chance that it can recur within the next 30 days which could possibly have increased associated consequences.

It would be best for you to be evaluated for both the above conditions.

If I've adequately answered your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and being sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating if you feel my answers/suggestions have helped? Again, many thanks for posing your questions and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 15 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist