What causes numbness around a surgical scar on leg?

Dr. Karl Logan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had surgery on my up leg to remove a sist this was Jun 27,2014. the doctor stitched my leg and it is now been almost two weeks my leg has swelling around the stitches and it is a hard type feeling my doctor said not to worry it is gel and it will go away. I get my stiches out this coming Monday. but my leg is num still swollen around stitched area and still cant walk on it and still hurts. I really think it is muscle damage but could you please let me know if I am right or wrong thanks.
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms that you describe can be normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Thanks for your question.

It is normal to feel numbness around a surgical scar. This often improves with time. When the Dr removes your stitches your should massage the scar and surrounding area to break down scar tissue and improve the sensation and hypersensitivity in the and around the incision.

The swelling in the area of the cyst is likely a haematoma or a small collection of blood which formed following removal of the cyst. haematoma's can take weeks to months to completely resolve.

It is still early days and I am sure that the pain and swelling will improve with time. If you develop redness around the scar or it starts to discharge then this could be evidence of infection and your should see your surgeon to see if your simply require antibiotics or further surgery to clean to area out.

I hope this answers your question.

Best wishes
Follow up: Dr. Karl Logan 6 minutes later
thanks for your help
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome

Detailed Answer:
It my pleasure. I hope you feel better soon.

Best wishes