What causes numbness and tingling in the hip?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have had symptoms for over two weeks... it started at the supermarket when I lost sensation in my left foot, but mostly the outer half. Then it seemed to spread up my leg, but on the outside. Then I was having trouble pronouncing a word or two in a sentence.. How weird is that? Now I have numbness and tingling all the way up to my hipbone!
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you need to see a doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your comments,
There are possibly a couple things going on here that could be very serious. When you have trouble word finding it could mean that something abnormal is going on in your brain like a small stroke. These can sometimes resolve quickly but they may be a sign that a bigger stroke is coming. Do not ignore this, see your doctor.

The loss of sensation in the foot and now numbness and tingling up to the hip may be from a nerve impingement in your spine. This again could be fairly serious. Treatment early in the course of such a problem may prevent you from having permanent nerve damage.

Please do not delay, these problems are potentially serious ones. See your doctor as soon as possible.
If any new symptoms occur go immediately to Emergency.
Dr. Robinson