What causes nosebleeds during pregnancy?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 21 Sep 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello
I am 24 weeks pregnant. Is Nosebleed common in pregnancy ? please advice the ways to resolve it.
My Blood pressure has always been low even in Pregnancy. Last two readings are 105/70 and 110/70

Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nose bleeds are quite common in pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcare magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.

Nosebleeds are quite common in pregnancy as blood volume and blood circulation are increased during pregnancy. The blood vessels in the nose are fragile. Sometimes they burst open causing bleeding.
Try not to blow your nose or rub your nose forcefully. When you get nose bleeding, sit upright and pinch your nose just above the nostrils in such a way as to close the nose. Keep pressed for 5 minutes. Breathe through mouth. Release the pressure on nose and see. bleeding persists you need to apply pressure again. Keep ice pack on the nose bridge.

Check for your Hemoglobin. If you have anaemia, you need to take iron supplements. If you have recurrent heavy nose bleeds, your doctor will check if you have any bleeding disorder.
I hope this is helpful.
If you have further concerns I will be happy to answer

Best wishes,
Dr Ramadevi Wani

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 4 hours later
Thanks Dr.
I am taking 30 mg Iron twice daily so 60 mg of iron daily

What is the daily Vitamin D supplementation that should be taken , Is it 1000 IU or 2000 IU per day ?

We live in Dubai and the summers are very hot here and Sun exposure is less.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin D 1000 units per day is sufficient.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome back.
What is your Hemoglobin level. If your Hemoglobin is more than 11gms%, then the iron tablet that you are taking is sufficient.

If you have further concerns, I will be happy to answer.
Best wishes,
Dr Ramadevi Wani
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 18 minutes later
Maam,
My last measured haemoglobin was 10.8
attaching an old report for blood work
I have also had a 50,000 IU per week Vitamin D Supplementation from 16 to 22 week as adviced by the doctor here
Plus maam we have Iron fortified cereals twice a day so around 15-18 mg of Iron there.

Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Investigations are normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The investigations are normal.
Continue with the same dose of iron.

Check your Vitamin D level once.
If it is in the upper normal range even 400units of vitamin D will be sufficient.
If you have further concerns, do write to me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 9 hours later
Thank You Maam.
We will check the Vitamin D Levels.
Since my sun exposure is very low , in a day, i am continuing with 1000 IU of Vitamin D per day plus 400 IU in the Calcium Tablet so , 1400 IU per day

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:

Measurement of Vitamin D level should guide regarding the further dosage adjustment as well as further care.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Ramadevi Wani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee