What causes neuropathic pain in the feet while on Gabapentin?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been on Lyrica 150 (3) times a day for over 10 years. My insurance company forced me to switch to Gabapentin - 400 mg (3) times a day. The neuropathic pain in my feet has returned and I have terrible insomnia. The insurance company (united Healthcare)
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information (and good luck to you!)

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Oh, I am so sorry - this is very frustrating! In the past I've had problems getting certain insurance companies to pay for medications that work significantly better for a patient than what is on the insurance company's formulary.

Here are some suggestions:
1. Ask your doctor to document that you have had a trial of gabapentin, and it has not controlled your neuropathic pain as Lyrica has, and that you are suffering. Send this to your insurance company.
2. Contact the insurance company and be persistent. The squeaky wheel sometimes gets their non-formulary medication approved.
2. Contact the Pfizer Company, which makes Lyrica and ask them about prescription assistance. Some drug companies that sell extremely pricey medications will provide medication for free if you fill out information about financial hardship to access the medication.

Check this out:
http://www.YYYYYYY.org/YYYY_list.taf?_function=name&name=Y
YYYYYY
Also: http://www.pYYYYYYYY.com

(You will need to copy/paste the link into your address search bar to see it.)

I do hope this helps.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 13 hours later
Thank you for your response. unfortunately I am needy for the drug - but not financially needy. I am going to try through my physician network to ask for help.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Understood. Good luck going through your physician group.

Again - be persistent in saying that the gabapentin is not helping adequately. Sometimes persistence works.

Best regards.