What causes nausea while feeding?

Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hi,

My baby girl is just 1 year old now. She refused her bottle feeding from her 4 months age and she hardly enjoys food and keeps food in her month. Now even she shows vomiting feeling while feeding with spoon. Over the last one week she is showing more tendency of vomiting and throwing food once a day. She is also showing cold and cough tendency.

Teething is still pending and we offer smooth food. Her weight is close to 9 kg.

Medicines used currently -

Calcimax, D3, AtoZ vitamin and currenly Taximo prescribed.

Please suggest whether taximo (antibiotic) required at this time for curing her cough and throwing tendency. Please explain the background cause.

Also suggest what should we feed her and normal diet and what to avoid. How can we improve her feeding habits.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
here is the solution.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.
As per your description , weight of the child is very good so do not worry about her feeding .
She will take the amount of food she needed.
Only thing to keep in mind is that , reduce her milk intake , avoid biscuits, bread, junk food.
Vomiting may be due to overfeeding or some type of food allergy.
Let the child eat as and when she feels hungry do not force her to eat that may create unnecessary struggle.
Home made food like upma, shira, soji, ragi , boiled and smashed potato, eggs , dal rice can be given.
Taxim-o is not given by me for cough and cold or respiratory infection to my patient, it can be given when there is stomach infection, urine infection.

Hope i helped you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 43 minutes later
Is there any possibility of stomach worm or stomach infection for her showing such vomiting symptom. We are yet unable to provide her anything other than semiliquid food. Is there any thumbrule that she should be feed every 3 hours. When can we expect her teeth to come up and is there any concern for her late teething.
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
do not worry about teething.

Detailed Answer:

1. Yes it is possible that vomiting might be due to stomach worm or infection, or urine infection. (But it should be associated with fever).
You can check stool and urine for ruling out infection

2. You can wait for 6 more months that is till 18months of age for teething.
If teeth does not come out by that time you need to see the dentist.

3. Feeding should be on demand as well as timely.
At the age of 1 year there is no thumb rule that the baby should be fed every 3 hourly.

Hope i answered your query.