What causes nausea, vomiting, headache and fatigue?

Posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Three members of my family have the following symptoms:
Nausea, vomiting, anorexia, headache, malaise, fatigue. The last time we were all together was 5 days prior to onset of symptoms. We did consume an item in common on the last night we were together. It was a whiskey cake with fresh whipped cream. I am thinking possibly a foodborne illness but am not familiar with one with a 5-7 day incubation period.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Some food borne infections have variable incubation periods.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
It is true that most of the food borne infections have an incubation period less than 72 hours. However food borne infection by Shigella,Enteropathogenic E. Coli ( EPEC), E. Coli O157:H7, Campylobacter, Giardia can have a variable incubation period beyond 5 days.
So you may be right in that the symptoms could be a result of food infection.
Dr. Noble Zachariah