What causes nausea and dizziness?

Posted on Thu, 21 Apr 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I'm nauseated and dizzy. The stomach symptoms appeared BEFORE the dizziness. I've had this for 6 days; if I go back to bed for a couple of hours, I feel better. I haven't had any dairy and eaten soup and toast for 24 hours, but it persists.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained in detail

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

Your concern is appreciated

There are many disorders which can be the cause for nausea and dizziness. As elderly lady most common causes can be gastroparesis as stomach looses its ability to function efficiently and there is delay emptying of the stomach so undigested food remains in the stomach and gives you nausea, GERD may be the cause of these symtoms.
Food poisoning and Viral gastroenteritis can lead to this. other causes include benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, vestibular neuritis, cholicystitis, pancreatitis, ear infection, generalized anxiety disorder, hepatitis , mieners disease, hyperparathyroidism, hyperthyroidism, pseudomotor cerebri . So many pathologies can cause these symptoms.
Blood counts and blood chemistry should be done.
A prokinetic like metoclopramide will improve the nausea PPIs are also helpful in this situation.

You can discuss these options with your doctor.

let me know if you have any query

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Dr M.S Khalil
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 hours later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil