What causes nasal perforation?

Dr. Manjeth Kumar G

Posted on Tue, 1 Apr 2014 in General Health
Question: I have two holes in my septum of my nostrils. I can put a q tip from one side to the other in two places. They aren't straight across holes but slanted up and down. Is this a serious problem?
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Not a serious problem. Physical abnormalities. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Most of the nasal perforation are not a serious problem. But if the hole is large enough, it may affect the structure of the nose and lead to physical deformities like saddle-shaped deformity. Here i would like to mention few common causes for hole or perforation in nasal septum. Complication of previous nasal surgery, from cocaine use, excessive nose picking, trauma, cancer, or diseases such as tuberculosis, sarcoidosis, or syphilis. As damage reduces blood supply in the septum, the cartilage begins to die, and a hole develops. Even long-term use of decongestant nasal sprays can cause nasal perforation. Do you have any of the above mentioned condition or disease. Then it should be treated. Further if the hole is large enough and if you have deviated nasal septum, then it should be repaired. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
Follow up: Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 7 minutes later
The only trauma I have had was being intubated for three weeks 18 months ago and had a feeding tube for 4 weeks. I only noticed this problem after that. I am on oxygen all the time. My diagnosis at that time was eosinophilic pneumonia with no cause found. I had trouble aspirating into my lungs for several days. I don't use street drugs.
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 20 hours later
Brief Answer: May be due to nasotracheal intubation. symptoms? Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your reply. This septal perforation may be a result of injury in septum while you was intubated before 18 months. If you do not have symptoms like bleeding from nose, nasal obstruction, whistling sound, discharge from nose, then you do not need any treatment. If you have any of these symptoms, then this septal perforation should be repaired. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
Follow up: Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 30 hours later
What could it mean that when i eat i get the hiccups, pain in my chest and vomit almost immediately. It happens almost everytime I eat .
Brief Answer: GERD. Quit smoking.Upper GI Endoscopy Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your reply. I suspect these symptoms of Chest pain and is related for eating and vomiting as well as hiccups are due to Gastroesophageal reflex disease (GERD). If you are a smoker, Quit smoking. Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day. Don't eat at least 2 to 3 hours before lying down. If you're overweight or obese, take steps to lose weight with exercise and diet changes. If these measures are not helpful, then you should take medications Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole or H2 blockers like ranitidine. If still the problem persists, you should go for investigations like Upper GI endoscopy, Urea breath test for H.Pylori. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.