• question-icon

What causes nasal bleeding while on Eliquis for atrial fibrillation?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi, I just started eliquis for A fib. Tonight I had the worst nosebleed of my life - and I typically get them quite often. I still am not sure of the correct treatment - tilt head back or not, pinch nose or not, blow any clots out or not ... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!
Sincerely,
XXXX
0000
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Your symptoms could be related to blood thinning and high blood pressure. Local trauma can not be excluded either.

I recommend tilt your head back and pinch your nose. It is necessary to measure your blood pressure values.

If the bleeding persists, I recommend going to the ER for a careful physical exam and a complete blood count and coagulation tests.

In the meantime, I recommend avoiding the next dose of eliquis.

Hope to have been helpful!

Let me know about everything!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist