Owl Image

What causes musculoskeletal back pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I'm experiencing extreme middle back pain (right side) for the past few days. It is pronounced when I stand up from sitting in a chair and seems to dissipate a bit when I move around some.
Yesterday the pain was also around my rib cage to the top of my stomach. After a healthy bowl movement, this aspect of the pain has gone away and now it is concentrated as noted above.
I've been taking ibuprofen which minimizes the pain a bit.
Thank you for your advice.
Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Musculoskeletal back pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Thanks for your question,

You symptoms are consistent with musculoskeletal back pain.

The causes of musculoskeletal back pain are varied. Muscle tissue can be damaged with the wear and tear of daily activities. Trauma to an area (jerking movements, auto accidents, falls, fractures, sprains, dislocations, and direct blows to the muscle) also can cause musculoskeletal back pain. Other causes of back pain include postural strain, repetitive movements, overuse, and prolonged immobilization. Changes in posture or poor body mechanics may bring about spinal alignment problems and muscle shortening, therefore causing other muscles to be misused and become painful.

In acute musculoskeletal pain, these techniques have been shown to speed recovery.

Medications such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories, acetaminophen or opioids may be used to treat inflammation or pain.

Other treatments may include:

Injections with anesthetic or anti-inflammatory medications in or around the painful sites
Exercise that includes muscle strengthening and stretching
Physical or occupational therapy
Acupuncture or acupressure
Relaxation/biofeedback techniques
Osteopathic manipulation (a whole system of evaluation and treatment designed to achieve and maintain health by restoring normal function to the body)
Chiropractic care
Therapeutic massage

I hope this answers your question

Best wishes