What causes left-sided pain in the back?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
I have for about 2 1/2 weeks experiencing back pain on the left side below the shoulder whenever I breathe in. It has gotten much worse as the time has gone by. I have asthma, but it has been completely under control. I use Qvar and Pro air. I rarely have to use my emergency inhaler, but now the pain is severe... A 10 on a scale of 1-10 And I cannot take a full breath in
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get done chest x ray.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
By your history and description, possibility of musculoskeletal pain is more likely.
But since you are asthmatic patient, we should definitely rule out lung infection first.
So get done chest x ray.
If chest x ray is normal then no need to worry much.
Apply warm water pad on affected areas of chest.
Avoid movements causing pain.
Avoid heavyweight lifting and strenuous exercise.
Take painkiller and muscle relaxant drugs like ibuprofen and thiocolchicoside (if you are not allergic too them).
Don't worry, you will be alright with all these in 2-3 days.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.