What causes left-sided discomfort in the chest upon lifting objects and coughing?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: 67 yo w/f in good health and considered strong for my age/sex. Yesterday developed moderate discomfort in left side that is uncomfortable like a balloon tightening when I cough. Currently being treated for bronchial infection with 500 mg amoxicillin 3 x daily since 11/28/17. Also in process of moving and lifting light things which is not uncommon for me but onset was sudden and mild yesterday when lifting a light weight item requiring more upper body strength than lower. I am aware it's there (tenderness) when not coughing but pain is now moderate with coughing. For 2-3 days prior to onset yesterday had several episodes of bowel urgency and very loose stool but none since.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of musculoskeletal pain is more likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
By your history and description, possibility of musculoskeletal pain is more likely.
So apply warm water pad on affected areas of chest.
Avoid movements causing pain.
Avoid heavyweight lifting and strenuous exercise.
Sit with proper beck support.
Take simple painkiller like paracetamol or ibuprofen.
You will mostly improve with all these in 2-3 days.
If you develop worsening pain or cough or fever then consult doctor and get done chest x ray.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana