Suggest treatment for pain in the left shoulder blade

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
I started having pain on my left shoulder blade felt like almost under the blade. This started 6 months ago and now the pain is still in blade area and now I'm getting like a hot/cold pain on my left chest and also fell the same pain on and off under my left arm pit. Please help
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get done ECG to rule out heart diseases.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HealthcareMagic.
I can understand your concern.

Since you are having left sided chest and shoulder joint pain, we should definitely rule out heart diseases first because cardiac chest pain can be seen for this long (6 months) if not diagnosed

So get done ECG.
If ECG is normal then no need to worry about heart diseases.

Sometimes musculoskeletal pain (shoulder joint or shoulder girdle injury or ribs and intercostal muscles diseases) is also causing the similar symptoms.

So please let me know
1. Do you have diabetes or hypertension?
2. Do you have worsening chest pain on exertion?
3. Is there any association between specific movements and worsening pain?
Please reply me answers to above-asked questions, so that I can guide you better.

I will be happy to help you further.

Wish you good health.
Thanks.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain in the left shoulder blade 5 hours later
Any certain exertion doesn't seem to make it worse. If I do exessive work the back shoulder will hurt more but it doesn't really effect my chest or armpit area.

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What about diabetes and hypertension?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Possibility of musculoskeletal pain is more likely.
What about hypertension and diabetes?
Have you ever undergone ecg?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain in the left shoulder blade 36 minutes later
I have never been diagnosed with diabetes or hypertension, and have never had a ecg.

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to get done ecg first.

Detailed Answer:
In my opinion, we should definitely get done ecg first because left sided chest pain should always be evaluated for heart diseases.
If ecg is normal then you should get done x ray of shoulder joint. MRI is also needed if x ray is showing something.
Please let me know
1. Is X ray or MRI of shoulder joint done?
2. Do you have any history of trauma involving left shoulder or left chest?
3. Are you taking any painkiller?
4. Is it constant dull aching pain through out the day?