• question-icon

What causes multiple black spots in the field of vision?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hello,

Im 59 years old, and I have been getting periodic spotty eye vision where I get for a few minutes once a week or so it activates. Similar to when you stare at a light to close. Any idea what this could be?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible Diagnosis: Vitreous Floaters

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

Black spots that occur in Vision from time to time is likely to be vitreous floaters.
Vitreous Floaters are benign and not of major concern. It occurs due to excess collagen astrands in vitreous gel of the eye as our age advances.
No treatment is necessary for vitreous floaters.

However, it is also important to rule out diabetic retinopathy. Eye examination and checking blood sugar levels are warranted.
Please be advised to follow up with your ophthalmologist to undergo a thorough ocular examination.

Meanwhile,if you develop worsening dark spots, flashing of light, vision loss,eye pain etc immediately follow up with an emergency room.Tbese symptoms are suggestive of more serious conditions like retinal.detachment,posterior vitreous detachment etc.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal